The Board of the European Association for Chinese Studies is pleased to announce the EACS Young Scholar Award (YSA). The purpose of this award is to encourage research in Chinese studies among young scholars, especially, but not exclusively, scholars studying and working at European institutions.
We are delighted to announce that the finalists for the 2018 Award are:
– Shu Yang: “Wrestling with Tradition: Early Chinese Suffragettes and the Modern Remodeling of the Shrew Trope”
– Alexis Lycas: “Southern Man people as a political and fiscal problem in Later Han times”
– Jérôme Doyon: “Renewing the Nomenklatura: Age-based cadre management and the Communist Youth League in post-Mao China”
Please download and read the additional information regarding Eligibility and Submission carefully before submitting. Below is a summary of the criteria.
Candidates for the YSA should be 35 years of age or below (2018 YSA candidates must have been born in 1983 or later) AND their rank of academic employment should be below that of Associate Professor or Senior Lecturer or the equivalent ranks in other systems. YSA candidates must be registered as EACS members at the time of their paper submission.
The jury welcomes papers of high scholarly promise engaging primary sources, secondary scholarship, and innovative research methodologies relevant to the field.
- Papers should be written in English; only single-authored papers will be accepted.
- Papers should preferably be unpublished; however, candidates may submit papers that are under review for publication in a scholarly journal at the time of the 2018 Glasgow conference.
- Each applicant may submit only one paper of a maximum of 8500 words (approximately 50,000 characters), with a one-page abstract. The word limit includes footnotes but not bibliography. The submission should include the author’s full name, institution, and address on a separate page. The author’s name and other self-references should be removed in the main paper as the manuscript will be assessed anonymously.
The deadline for submission is 17:00 CET on 15 January 2018. Please send the following material by e-mail to email@example.com before the deadline:
(1) Paper and abstract
(2) Proof of age and rank
(3) EACS membership number
Only complete and timely submitted applications will be considered. The three finalists will be notified around May 2018. We very much hope you will consider submitting your work!